Saturday, December 29, 2012

Sourdough bread and Crochet

Yesterday I finished crocheting a dishcloth and started on a second one. I do this as I watch tv. I feel like it makes the wasted time a little more worthwhile if I am making something useful.

My friends gave me a King Arthur sourdough starter and they also served us some delicious sourdough bread that they baked at home and it was better than any store bought I have ever had. It was nice and sour and delicious. So I will be making my own. I started the batter today and need to let it sit overnight in the fridge. But tomorrow I will be able to bake two loaves. It is a process but it is so worth it.

I promise to add pictures of the loaves and the dishcloths in my next post.

Okay, on a side note, Juliana is being as stubborn as Peter was in terms of wanting to potty train. She has no desire to do it. It's been so difficult to teach her. I have to "police" her constantly. Well, we took a break over the holiday and I told her we would start again after Christmas. I offered to show her the potty movie today and she said no. So I am not sure that she will cooperate. She is turning 3 in January and it would be nice to not have to change diapers anymore. Her older brother Peter was also stubborn and didn't give in to being potty trained until he was 3y4m. UGH! My older four children were all trained by the age of 2y2m or 2y6m. So these last two children are certainly cut from a different mold :)

Today we are stocking up on meats and I will be shaping hamburger patties to freeze. I like buying my ground beef in bulk at Sams and making my own, because I can choose how much or how little fat to put in them and we get a better quality burger. I am also starting to bulk cook again. But that will be another post. In the meantime I want to suggest the book "Not Your Mother's Make Ahead and Freeze and Cookbook". It's got wonderful freezer recipes and ideas to make it easier to freeze lots of meals in very little time.

We are enjoying the last few days of 2012. I hope you are too!

No comments: